This is one that I've seen around, but don't know who did it originally. It's on a couple different sites that have collected latte art:
And here's what I did myself to copy the design:
Easy enough. Here's the step-by-step:
- Pour the milk into the espresso carefully, not disturbing the layer of crema so that there's a nice dark canvas to work with.
- Pour or scoop out a small circle for the planet.
- Pour the small circle for the moon.
- Break out the etching tool, pick up some white and draw one side of the planetary rings from the edges to the front center of the planet.
- Wipe the tool and repeat from the other side to the front center.
- Pick up more white to extend the rings from the edges toward the back of the planet, but stopping at the circle.
- Use white to poke random stars everywhere.
- For some larger stars, poke in bigger white dots and then drag out them out in four directions for the twinkle.
So this week I'm away from my coffee shop (Empire State South), currently enjoying a so-so cappuccino-like "House Special" at another coffee shop (left unnamed to protect the innocent) in Boulder, Colorado. Here's what I'm drinking: